An Encouraging Word

An Encouraging Word
www.biblescreen.com

Sunday 18 January 2015

This Is The Way; Walk In It

This week Joel and I started talking more to some doctors and a couple of other friends we know about this precious child that we want to adopt.  Last week I told you that it is a walk of faith --to not worry and to trust that He will tell us in His time if we are the ones for her.  That is still so true.  However I want to be very real with you.  Even if they send her file to our family, there is a decision that we have to make.  Things are never easy.  (I wish that getting her file was the end of all my temptation to worry.)

As I was walking down the street this week I started thinking a little more about that.  Things are never easy.  The drama never completely goes away.  We never get to the place where there are ...no concerns...no "what ifs".  There is such a beauty in that ...but I think we miss it sometimes.  If you are anything like me, you don't like the uncertainty.  However it is in those uncertainties that our faith is made stronger.  Unfortunately I have heard countless men preach something much different and I have watched friends fall for their lies.  A quote like the following, “It’s God’s will for you to live in prosperity instead of poverty. It’s God’s will for you to pay your bills and not be in debt. It’s God’s will for you to live in health and not in sickness all the days of your life.”  To me that sounds like: as a Christian, God doesn't desire that your life be filled with uncertainties.

 Well, friends, I just don't see that in God's Word.  In fact, the Bible promises suffering.  It promises persecution.  (Might I also add that most all of those in the Bible who were following the Lord had their own struggles and were far from wealthy.)   Take a look at the Fruits of the Spirit in Galatians: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  When things are easy, I do pretty good--and in my pride I think that I don't need God's help.  It's when things are tough in my life that the Spirit shines the brightest for others to see.  So you see, I need suffering.  I don't need things to be easy (even though I might need to be reminded of this occasionally--OK, really often!) I need the uncertainties to draw me closer to Him. I don't need prosperity or health to make me feel secure.  What I need is to find my refuge in the Lord.

I honestly do look back at the most difficult times of my life with a thankful heart.   It is in those times that I drew closer to the Lord and my faith was increased.  I want my prayer to be that of James 1:2-5  --  Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

 I didn't tell you this last week, but for a while now I have felt led to pray that we would receive this precious girl's file before her birthday.  Her birthday is soon approaching, so I am expecting to receive it in the next two weeks.  It's so exciting, but I know that we have a big decision to make.  Even though I want more than anything to adopt this sweet child, we need to see that God is leading in that way--so that when times get tough...we have "the stones to remember."  

Please pray for us that even though the information will not be complete and there will be many unanswered questions, that we will know which way to go...that we will hear the Lord say, "This is the way; walk in it." 

No comments:

Post a Comment